Do you love your job?

Posted by dreamz2achieve on 8/27/2009

Wow! That's an amazing question.A question which probably instead of asking others, we should ask ourselves. So, let's rephrase the question - "Do I love my job?"

Well, I can proudly and confidently say Yes. But maybe for me this question does not count as I have entered my job only 3 months back. Anyways, let's come back to our original theme - do we love our jobs and how important is this question for us.

Some quick Mathematics
Most of us spend about 8-9 hours/day in our jobs for 5-6 days a week. That comes in the range of 40-50 hous per week. Now, considering that we are awake for 16 hours a day implies 112hours/week. This clearly shows that we spend close to 50% or even more of our time in our jobs.
Whoops!! That's a huge amount of time. So can we or should we really be in a job which we don't love. I am sure that all of us agree that we cannot spend 50% or more time of our life doing something which we don't like.

Now, this discussion gives us a nice foundation to start off a new related topic - Selection criterion for a job. This si highly relevant for all students sitting for campus placements.
Everyone have different selection criteria while selecting a job. I had a simple selection criterion which helped me get a job I love. This was a simple question, which I asked myself when the placement season started. This was - What is the work which I would enjoy the most, I am ready to do continously at stretch and would still not get tired, I am well equipped to do and most importantly I would be proud to tell about it to everyone I meet. I would ask this question to myself everytime a company came to campus for placement and base my decision to apply for it or not based on my answer.
No doubt, being this selective for a job (that too in this bad time of recession) was a huge risk. I had to face some sarcasm too. But, I was ready to wait for my dream job.
Now, why is it so important to be in a job that you love?
First and foremost, you lead a happy life. You are content and happy the time you spend at your workplace and you surely parcel this happiness to your personal life too. Secondly and most importantly you perform your work in a much better manner.
So, though pay packages may seem very attractive, you may find everyone getting beautiful jobs, but it always pays the best to wait for your dream job!!!!

10 comments:

Comment by Anil on September 16, 2009 at 4:46 AM

Hey nice blog. Enjoy Life :::

 
Comment by dreamz2achieve on September 17, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Thanks Anil.

 
Comment by Joi Murugavell on October 5, 2009 at 12:39 AM

This resonates with me as much as nutella and bread ( I LOVE nutella and have it for breakfast nearly every day, it's an obsession that I look forward to in a structured sort of way, every morning ) a job has to feel like nutella and bread, almost achieve cult like status in our minds.

Joi

 
Comment by dreamz2achieve on October 5, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Hi Joi,

Wow..Dats a great way of putting the thought.
Nice Comparison.

 
Comment by Philip on November 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM

i dont love my job. i just love the moolah that comes along ;)

 
Comment by Priya on February 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Nice insight. Shall keep coming here for more. You can share my ideas here essentiallyintrigued.wordpress.com/

 
Comment by Ashish Gupta on November 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM

And 'liking' has so many dimensions!

I don't particularly like mine like crazy. But I still claim to like it... for reasons I don't know for sure myself!

Hardly a topic for blogging for mass consumption :-) And very nice topic to know what others think about their own situations.

 
Comment by Ashish Gupta on November 23, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Slept contemplating about what you wrote and woke up to read this: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/11/reasons-to-work.html

Too much for my little mind in 1 day ;-)

 
Comment by dreamz2achieve on December 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM

@Ashish Just read the Seth Godin's link which you posted. Somehow, I feel that all these are just hygiene factors behind working and the list does not cover the motivating factor -- which I feel that my blog post does. :)

 
Comment by Anonymous on May 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM

What happens when you don't know what you like? Or when you don't love anything in life (the way you do computers i mean)?

 

Post a Comment